Monday, March 27, 2006

Evolution and Rang De Basanti...

26th Jan 1950 was the day when India became a republic. The day is celebrated as a national holiday since then. Rang De Basanti was released the same day this year. It is a about a revolution. It is about the importance of having Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad even today - today when India is already free from foriegn rule. But they are needed equally badly today because even today there is injustice and the poor (and their lives) are sacrificed on the altar of luxuries of the rich (and their consumptive desires).

What the British did to Indians then, Indians are doing to themselves these days. Injustice abounds. Government turns a deaf ear to people's calls for justice. Judiciary goes blind even in the face of stark evidence. It is in this context that we need people like Chandrashekhar Azad and Bhagat Singh even today.

The movie was released more than 2 months back, then why am I writing about it today. Because much water has flown down the Yamuna in the past 2 months. There has been an unprecedented response to injustice that was meted out in Jessica Lal murder case. Jessica Lal was a middle-class upcoming model. She was bar-tending at a Page-3 party one evening, when a group of roitous young men asked her for some drinks. She obliged. But when they came again, it was past the party-time and they were closing. She politely refused. They insisted. She was stern. Then one of the boys - son of a high-fi government official - allegedly pulled out his revolver and shot her in the head. She died even before reaching the hospital. Tens of people must have seen this. It was national headlines the next few days. But, seven years after the incident, the accussed were declared not-guilty. The judge says, "I know that you did it, but the investigating agency has not provided enough evidence". Strange...

The injustice struck a chord with the people. They had seen Rang De Basanti just a few days back. They felt that they can do something. They protested against the judgement. SMSes were recieved from far and wide. People from all over the place wrote against the injustice. Media flared up the issue far and wide.

It was strange. After a really long time was the middle class shouting. They had always been the quiet class. They recieved all the goodies - though not much in terms of "luxuries", but still a very good deal in terms of what they spent and what they got.

The poor were shouting from help, but it was rare that someone from the middle class would stop and listen to the problem and work for a solution. Or show solidarity with the poor and say that they deserved more. The middle class was never bothered about what was happening anywhere else. It was not content within itself either. It would ask for more freebies from the government - subsidies on Petrol and LPG, cheap ration, free water, cheap electricity, better roads, better TV stations and what not. But it never shouted.

That millions of people in thousands of villages do not even get clean drinking water did not bother them. They had their taps running. They used (and still use) the drinking water to wash their cars. Millions of Indians have been displaced to give electricity, minerals, water and food to this so called middle class - its actually less than 5-10% of Indian population.

But middle class had come out on the streets this time - since they felt the pain of injustice - possibly for the first time in many years...

I was hopeful that this awakening would continue. That having felt the pain of being meted out injustice, this set of influential people will possibly raise their voice whenever they see injustice. I was wrong.

On 8th March, Narmada Control Authority (NCA) cleared the decks for raising the hieght of Sardar Sarovar Project dam to 121.92 m from the present 110.2 m. They said that rehabilitation has been completed upto this hieght. It came as a shock to the villagers who were yet to be given any land. 35,000 families is not a small number. It counts to more than 1 lakh people even if you consider 3 members per family.

Jessica Lal was just 1 person. She was killed in a party attended by a limited few. The middle class had still believed the story and arose to ask for justice.

Here were more than 1 lac people, who were being murdered in broad-daylight - for everyone to see - but no one came for help.

Jessica Lal did not have even an organization giving out the details of the event, for Narmada hundreds of organizations across the world are asking for Justice (check out
http://petitions.aidindia.org/narmada/), but the middle class is unperturped. The PMO is silent. The President doesn't seem to care. The state governments are lying in the face of evidence. The people are suffering. But the middle class is sleeping.

But this was not why I started writing this article. I was triggered by another event.

Union Carbide plant in Bhopal leaked "unquantified" amounts of Methyl Iso-cyanide in air on the night of December 3, 1984. This was more than 21 years back. Thousands of people died on that night. Mass burials followed. A few survived. But their survival was difficult than death. They were suffering from disorders unknown to mankind. Union Carbide fled the country. It valued every life to about USD500. It gave the compensation to the government (not to the affected people) and fled.

The government did not ask for more. The government did not evaluate the damage caused. It simply took the money. It gave a few thousand rupees to the affected people. It kept the rest with itself - to develop Bhopal. The money was meant for survivors and affected families of the Gas Disaster. It was not a tax that someone had paid - to be used at the whims and fancies of some Babus sitting in air-conditioned offices in Delhi.

The people were suffering. Their problems have not yet been diagnosed. They still encounter births with congenital disorders at a much higher frequency than any general population would. More than one generation have been affected.

The disaster is counted as the world's worst industrial disaster. One would imagine that government would give them some special services - like Japan government did to the survivors of the nuclear bombings. But these people don't even get clean drinking water.

The tube-wells in the area, have all been contaminated by chemicals from the factory. The chemicals that Union Carbide had left in the open - and fled - had leached into the underground aquefiers. The Supreme Court had directed the government to provide clean drinking water to the affected localities. Even two years after the order, and one and a half years after the Supreme Court directive, they did not get drinking water.

In desperation, the survivors walked from Bhopal to Delhi - a distance of 800 km (http://bhopal.aidindia.org). The middle class people in Delhi are afraid to walk even 8 km in the scorching sun. But they did not feel the pain.

I went to show solidarity with the marching people in the last leg of about 6-8 km. It was a pity. The marchers - who had walked 800 km - were being treated as cattle by the police. They did not even get water on the way to Jantar Mantar (from Nizamuddin).

But they continued to walk. I continued to learn. I learnt that their resolve was strong. I learnt that they still forgave the police-wallahs. I learnt that even though they did not get any drinking water by the sides of the roads, they still liked Delhi - not for its people - but for the beautiful roads.

I also learnt that they did not see what I saw - that while crores were spent in beautifying roads in Delhi, even if a small percentage of this amount was routed to the gas affected families in Bhopal, they would not have needed to walk 800 km to Delhi.

But there was more learning to come.

I reached home after the march. I was not very tired. I am used to walking. 8km was not a long distance for me. I was definitely overwhelmed. I was excited about meeting Rashida di and Champa didi and Satinath Sarangi and Rachna and many others who had walked the distance and were ready to go on fast from the next day on. I was humbled by their resolve.

A few comments/ questions came my way. "Did you accomplish anything by wasting a day there?" "Shouldn't you rather contribute to the success of the country by working harder at office - working for something you are skilled at?" "Don't you think that a person could be hired at Rs.60/- a day to increase the crowd there?" "Did you not waste your day?"


I chose not to answer the questions - lest a fight ensue. But yes, I learnt more that evening. I realized that the effect of Rang De Basanti was not as real as I had hoped it would be.

I wondered that if I had gone for the candle light vigil in Jessica Lal case, would my family have responded similarly. Or would they have proudly claimed to their friends that I was there. I am not sure. I think they would not have resisted my participation there.

In fact, so strong is the feeling against my fighting for these causes that even when I went to Dharamsala - on a completely personal excursion/ adventure trip - I recieved a comment from one in the family "I thought you went there to light some candles on the road." The satire and sarcasm in the voice hit me hard. But then you have to learn to live with it.

Rang De Basanti possibly did not bring about an evolution in the middle class after-all...

3 comments:

I am said...

Lately the name RDB, rings a bell in my mind about a PR exercise by a movie director in collusion with some big media houses, who have been paid some money (Quite a sum in fact), to create a fad (the in thing) and manipulate the young generation for better or worse. As far as my short memory goes, it all started with merchandising of movie props….went on to a next level with the movie “Kaho naa… pyar hai”...with the same news item about Hrithik Roshan being printed on three different pages of the Delhi Times, a masala magazine accomplice of an equally masala driven newspaper Times of India. I must admit I myself have been an addict to this masala for some time now. But the point is that the PR exercises were crude in 2000 leading to those inadvertent errors and have been refined since then, with PR emerging as the new profession to cater to the rich and famous. All the news about RDB and the media coverage generated to spread the fad that is RDB, has raised the cynical me in me. I must state as a movie viewer I liked the story and the movie as a whole package but somehow the coverage that followed in the press, I feel was more than its due. Thus to say that a movie brought about a revolution would be stretching the limits set by the PR exercise a bit too far. Since this blog for a fact, is not a PR exercise :), let me come to the issues raised here.

Yes the middle class seemed to be awakened with the instances like Jessica Lal and Reservation issue in the past one month, but it had nothing to do with RDB or the likes according to my point of view.

In the times of reality shows and sms polls to make a choice, the awakening as you call it, according to me was not “awakening” but it was the power to make or influence a decision which translated in the form of sympathy for injustice sounded out to the Lal family in the Jessica Lal case or the Kataria family in the Nitish Kataria case. These issues were raked by some responsible media sections but the so called middle class involvement came from the SMS polls and the hope given to a viewer that their vote can help police/court/President of India reopen the case. What happened after that is anybody’s guess.

But all this was labeled as the acts of “Rang-de-Basanti-generation-which-had-awakened”, as PR managers promoting the movie term it. The actors also gave a good hue to otherwise forgotten cases. So according to me the middle class shouting had nothing to do with their awakening or the movie, it was the power factor playing on their psyche, power to influence a decision and see instantaneous results of one’s actions on a TV monitor that led to what happened. I don’t dispute the fact that people were hurt by the court ruling but the action that they took after that had nothing to do with the awakening.

On showing the solidarity with the poor, it is indeed sad that it’s missing. Solidarity means a union of interests or purposes or sympathies among members of a group. With our Americanized education system, individualism rules the roost, so solidarity is only found in sections of some souls awakened to a cause like yours. The fact of the matter according to me is that if a section of society does not get water, the section of the society which has these privileges is inert to their counterparts. I concede it is really sad.

But I also believe that the section which does not have water has to do something for them rather than hope for the other section of the society, the elitists, if I may call them, to share these privileges with them.

Now the question comes what should they do? This according to your point of view would be marching a distance of 800 KM from Bhopal to Delhi, lightning candles at India Gate (which is again a harmless fad, according to me)…all to generate interest in their cause of the common man, the middle class as you call it and eventually force the government to listen to them, hope that after this the government would do something useful on the ground for them.
I shall never doubt the hardships that the people from NBA and supporting organizations or Bhopal gas tragedy victims are facing but I do question myself, is their protest march going to yield any result and the cynical me in myself answers probably No. It’s the Gandhian way of working.. It worked wonders at a point of history.. it still gets good attention whenever it happens, it makes you realize the resilience of the human spirit when you meet these angelic people but what next. These people have had countless demonstrations; have faced unprecedented hardships but the status quo remains…

This all makes me think, if there could be another approach to this issue. Can people like you who have had the skill, the education, the motivation and the drive to show solidarity with these people can do a little more than walking 8 km with them.

The Rashida di and Champa didi and Satinath Sarangi and Rachna and many others might feel good and happy that people like you in Delhi could empathize with them, feel their pain. But I fail to understand how it is going to solve their miseries. Would the sms polls in media to “awaken the middle class” help them? Probably No.

But could people like you who have this inherent drive to help others do something proactively. I am hinting at why not solve the problem yourself. If they don’t have access to drinking water, find out what it takes to provide them with this facility and then execute your plans. And not for a moment am I hinting at relying on the government for the same, which the cynic in me tells me would be useless. I question myself could the energies of these people who walked 800 kms to Delhi be channelised to solve their own problems. Could your team have made an on-the-ground plan on how to provide drinking water to these individuals or mobilized resources to get funds to solve their issues. I don’t have answers to these questions but I have faith in the abilities of your team and yourself, which I always believe have much more in them than to walk 800 km and light candles. I earnestly believe that there are other ways to show solidarity than to light candles and protest in a Gandhian way. So the cynic in me might have asked you the questions (I actually forgot about them) that you mentioned but the sarcasm remains for the reasons mentioned. For I believe that there has to be a difference between the crowd generated at many such gatherings at Rs. 60 a person and leaders and visionaries like yourself, who have it in them to influence many.

Apologies for any unintentional offence that this post may have caused.

I agree with you that this middle class evolution has certainly not happened. But is it must for the causes you have mentioned is my question to you… or rather to put it differently would support from the middle class and empathy towards these suffering souls help them solve their issues?

Aparna Bhatia said...

Hi Anuj,

I agree with Samira. It is the best of your articles.

It is indeed sad that middle class evolution has not yet taken place. But is it just the 5-10 %middle class as quoted by you. Or is it the whole Indian population. As in NBA, 35000 families will be displaced with construction of dam. And do you think 35000 people (1 from each family) have come up fighting for the cause. 5-10% can make a difference but even the rest 80% population has not come up fighting for the cause.

दर्शन said...

I could read it till the end..
I could learn a lot as well ..
I see the frustration inside too..inside me ,inside you,inside every individual who is concerned not only for my family,my friend and my Roti ..

But yes we also part of the middle class ,one day we will become large in numbers and that day We will create a movement of Awareness and sensibility ,a Movement of respect and Equality ..

Wonderful !!