Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Bird that flew after sunset

We were going to the Gurudwara a few days back and we saw a bird flying pretty low in the trees around the park...

Birds usually don't fly in the dark. They rest at home after sunset. But this one was flying in circles close to a lamp-post.

I felt concerned. It was strange. I had never seen a bird flying in that pattern earlier... It was brownish in colour - from what I could see in the yellow sodium light. So, it wasn't a crow or a pigeon or a mynah and was big enough to rule out a home sparrow also, but small to be an eagle... These are the birds that I am used to seeing in our local park.

I called out to the bird. I knew it would not understand what I said, but I felt that a kind voice would still be registered different from an aggressive tone and the bird may calm down a bit. It would let me come close and see if there as something I could do... However, the bird flew away when it heard me calling out.

The concern remained, but there was little I could do about it...

Just day before yesterday, I went to the park to see if moon has risen on the horizon... And there it was, sitting on the park bench... I saw it at such close quarters for the first time and a realization dawned. This bird did not need my help in the dark... It was an owl...

At times we feel concerned about others because we don't know them well and we attribute our / or generic weaknesses to them also...

They may not always need our help... They might be adept to find their ways through the dark...

No comments: